dependency hell

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 19:07:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:45:54 +0100, Marcel Janssen <korgull at home.nl> wrote:
> Hi,  After upgrade to FC3 I'm trying to set up several other yum repositories.
> When running a "yum update" it ends in many packages showing :
> Error: Requiring package xyz not in transaction set nor in rpmdb
> I have absolutely no clue to what this message means. Anyone out there who can
> translate this to understandable English ?

Yum is searching the rpm database for headers.   It compiles a list of
what packages to update, then runs out and updates them.  I could be
wrong, but it looks like it is dying on a dependency with regards to
some of your installed rpms.  You could try uncommenting out some of
your links in yum.conf and seeing if it will improve the situation,
and/or add other sites to your yum.conf.

Marc