FC3 mediacheck -> ide=nodma just works...

John Best jbest at insightbb.com
Sat Nov 13 03:34:32 UTC 2004

> >>md5sum -c MD5SUM
> >>
> >>I've already indicated this once. After successful MD5SUM check - boot
> >>with 'linux ide=nodma' and then do the MediaCheck.)

I think this comment was from Satish about ide=nodma.  Why is that
necessary?  I've encountered the mediacheck failures similarly for the
first time ever.  If the drive operates normally, why do we need nodma
in order to check only disk2 and disk3 of the CD set?

Ans...

I had similar trouble with FC2 install.  I never had a problem with media
check, but ran into a HANG issue when booting install or following install.
too questioned the nodma setting but was told not to worry about it. It
seems to be related to a firmware compatibility issue with something on
the IDE bus (Not necessarily your CDROM) But using nodma does not seem
to affect operation or prevent/enable any functionality.. Just works.

John Best
jbest at insightbb.com <mailto:jbest at insightbb.com>
Yahoo Msngr: JohnJBest