/media versus /mnt

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Sat Nov 13 04:12:44 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jelena i Zoran" <macak.macak at verizon.net>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 3:14 PM
Subject: /media versus /mnt

> Is there a technical reason for introducing the /media directory
> for mounting various devices instead of continuing with the old
> convention of using the /mnt directory?

Not technical really, but it is an attempt to be standards compliant.  The
"board" that oversees these things declared long ago that /media would be
the standard (I don't have any idea though how many distros use it though).

Personally, I resisted the change, but I think I'll get over it.

> I do not see a justifiable reason and that is why I am posting this
> question.
> My opinion is that unnecessary deviations from the old convention
> only adds to the confusion.

 OTOH it will be nice if you ever change distros that these files will be in
the same place, eh?

> Thanks,
> ZS

    Think nothing of it ;-)