FC2 to FC3 upgrade; grub damaged my LVM2 metadata...

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sat Nov 13 05:39:13 UTC 2004

But since LVM2 metadata backups are enabled by default on FC2 I was able
to restore it rather easily.

I did the following:
  vgscan   # gave me the UUID of the missing volume
  pvcreate -u 'very long UUID' /dev/hdc
  vgcfgrestore volume_group_name

And that was that.  Everything seems to be in perfect working order.

How did this happen?  Anaconda gave me no choice but to use /dev/hdc for
the boot loader.  So, I selected "don't install bootloader" and later
manually installed the bootloader.  But it ended up on hdc anyway.
There seems to be confusion in this system's BIOS about which disks are
which.  My boot disk is normally hde (onboard Promise ATA133) but BIOS
makes hdc (chipset ATA66) appear to be hd0 when I boot to CD.  Once I
had managed to boot the ATA133 disk (by manually typing in kernel and
initrd parameters) I was able to run grub-install without any problems.

Aside from that little trip the FC2->FC3 upgrade was absolutely
flawless.  I managed to keep nearly all of my third party software from
FC2.  Thanks to the release notes and reports on the list I had no
trouble with the proprietary NVidia drivers and VMWare.  I only had to
'cp -a' the relevant /dev entries into /etc/udev/devices directory.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/