USB Problems After Successful Initial Setup

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Sat Nov 13 12:12:42 UTC 2004

Hi All:
  I recently installed FC3 on a desktop with a USB keyboard, mouse, and
drive attached.  The USB drive is formated with the vfat file system and
FC3 is installed on one of two internal IDE drives (WinXP Pro on the
other).  Upon initial installation with "linux expert" at the install CD
boot prompt, all of these USB devices are recognized and seem to be
setup properly.  At the first boot, I see an icon on the desktop for the
USB drive and it's mounted as /media/usbdrive (or something close to
that).  On subsequent boots of the machine, when I go into FC3 it seems
that the keyboard, mouse and USB drive are no longer recognized.  It
brings up kudzu during the boot process as if new hardware has been
added.  It seems like everything is properly setup at install and
remains so on the first boot, but the settings are somehow lost after
that.  I imagine there is some configuration file that can be altered so
that the USB devices are persistently setup properly, but I don't know
what file that would be or how to change the configuration.

Thanks for you time and advice,

Chuck