FC3 mediacheck

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Nov 13 14:23:03 UTC 2004

On Saturday 13 November 2004 09:02, Jim Cornette wrote:

>> I think this comment was from Satish about ide=nodma.  Why is that
>> necessary?  I've encountered the mediacheck failures similarly for
>> the first time ever.  If the drive operates normally, why do we
>> need nodma in order to check only disk2 and disk3 of the CD set?
>>
>> I'm not intending this as disrespectful to anyone; I'm truly
>> curious about it.  Out of the four install images, all four pass
>> the MD5 checksum test, and two out of four pass the mediacheck.
>> On my CD writer, cdrecord reports that the buffer was always
>> adequately filled and burnfree protection was never needed.  So
>> assuming the integrity of the media is OK (seems to be, since
>> cdrecord reports no errors and the CD is readable), I'd suspect a
>> problem with the original ISO image. Whether you use DMA or not on
>> your drive doesn't seem to have any bearing on things....else
>> other I/O would have trouble too.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> Erik
>
>Check the fedora-test-list for discussions regarding the mediacheck
>failure. Padding the discs with at least 150 kb was suggested,
> there is some breakage which happened with the change to the 2.6
> kernel.
>
>I'm glad that adding ide=nodma to the installer before a mediacheck
>works to verify the discs successfully. This also probably helps
> ensure more reliable installs with systems that show the mediacheck
> false result during verifying.
>
>I feared a mass explosion of coasters because of this problem and no
>reference to the problem within the release notes. For those reading
>this list, the coaster collection is probably lower.
>For installers not on the list and attempting an install, the
> mirrors, reburning discs multiple times and giving up on the
> release might be at higher levels.
>
>Jim

After having a hell of a time getting them, I burnt all 9 disks
yesterday usng k3b from a konstuct built kde3.3 install, makeing k3b
verify the burns, using kernel 2.6.10-rc1-bk20.  dma is enabled and
the minimum buffer fill during any of the burns at about 32x was 98%.

Perhaps something has sneaked into the distribution kernel that
doesn't need to be there?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)