Media Check issue with Disc 2 and 3...on fc3

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Nov 13 15:22:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 07:12 -0800, Martin wrote:
> I had the same problems with media checks on FC3 disk
> 2 and 3.  I found that the disks I wrote on /dev/hdd
> would not verify when booted on /dev/hdc (a read-only
> CD drive).  However, when I shut off /dev/hdc in BIOS
> and booted from /dev/hdd, I got good checks.
>
> The moral here: disks may read better when you use the
> same drive they were created on.  I guess the padding
> will be compatible, etc.  Also, I recorded the disks
> at 4X (slow), but I'm not sure that was necessary.
>
> Why was FC3 released when its ISO's couldn't reliably
> be burned & read?  That seems pretty basic for a
> distro.  The problem may be that an md5sum on an ISO
> is somewhat too strict.  I believe it can fail
> sometimes even if all the files in the filesystem are
> OK.

FC3, or any other distro, can't assume responsibility for the semi-
infinite combinations of flaky drives, flaky media, and assorted burning
software/options.

At least you found a way to work it.  If you're really curious, search
the archives for threads on padding the images and md5sums, burn disks
with a variety of media, different burning programs and options, and
test on a variety of drives.  I expect you will find many combinations
that will work and many that will not.

Phil