FC3 mediacheck

David Fletcher fm_maillists at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 13 16:24:24 UTC 2004

I now have four install CDs each passing the media check. They are made using
the same CD-RWs that were failing last night, so I don't think the media
manufacturer is of any significance.

In case they are of use to other Fedora users, here are my notes on getting
these ISO images burned to CDs:-

Had problems with the media check failing on disks 2, 3 and 4 of Fedora Core
3.

Using the command
cdrecord -v speed=2 -eject dev=0,0,0 -pad <image filename> -pad
got the media check to pass on disks 2 and 4 but disk 3 still failed

The command
cdrecord -v speed=2 -eject dev=0,0,0 -pad padsize=50s <image filename> -pad
then got it to work with disk 3.

The -pad in the final command might be superfluous but the command seems to
work.

At the end of writing disk 3 cdrecord reported 100k of pad data added to the
CD.

Hope this helps somebody. It might be best for everybody to use CD-RWs in
future, to cut the production of drinks coasters.

Dave Fletcher