Belkin Switches and Erratic PS2 Mouse

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Nov 13 18:52:35 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 12:06, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I just installed FC2 and am having difficulty with my ps2 mouse (2 button with a
> track wheel) It is a Compaq Microsoft IntelliMouse.  I have a Belkin 4 port switch
> that I use with XP, RH 8 and FC1 systems that has worked fine except for one
> difficulty.  When I switch back and forth with the Belkin Switch to one of the Linux
> machines I am required to switch to a terminal window by using Cntrl-Alt-F1 before I
> can use the gui window in either of the Linux machines otherwise the mouse behaves
> erratically.  Obviously a little nuisance, but an easy work around to be able to
> connect 3 machines to one desktop.

> I tried appending the following statements to the kernal line of the grub boot loader
> in three separate attempts.
>
> psmouse.proto=imps
> psmouse.proto=bare
> psmouse.proto=exps
>
> I could not get FC2 to boot using these qualifiers; I obtained "Error 27" by the boot
> grub loader in each case.

Ah yes, this problem with KVM switches is well known.  Most of the time
adding the psmouse options as described above seems to fix it for most
systems.

There was a thread several months ago where someone mentioned a test
mouse driver that was an attempt to fix this problem.  If you can find
that thread or find the bugzilla report suggesting this alternate mouse
driver maybe that would help.  Hopefully if that testing went as
expected it is part of FC3 now but I don't know if that happened or not.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The door is the key.