Problem with NVIDIA & FC2

Brian Richardson brian at cubik.ca
Sat Nov 13 22:17:37 UTC 2004

> I upgraded from RH9 to FC2 and used yum to update. Everything seemed
> fine.
> I used yum for some more updates. After doing this I noticed problems
> with
> menu text (underlined letters showed up in green boxes). I re-installed
> the NVIDIA binary drivers (had to - could not get X to start). Now the
> NVIDA screen shows up clearly but X refuses to start complaining about
> fonts. I have included the messages below.
>
> How can I fix this?

[ snip ]

> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Here's your problem; you are using either the wrong transport, or the
wrong port. Make sure that xfs is running, and use either

   FontPath "unix/:-1"

or

   FontPath "tcp/localhost:7100"

Or don't run xfs and ensure that the correct font paths are defined in
your xorg.conf

[ snip ]

> FatalError re-entered, aborting
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

This doesn't look good either. Maybe it's just a cascading error, but
I'd also make sure that your libGL and video driver for X11 are in
sync. ie. make sure that your driver is set to "nvidia" and the libGL
that is used by the server is the NVIDIA version.

Brian
--
Brian Richardson
Software Developer