Problems with upgrade

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 00:45:13 UTC 2004

I'm upgrading my system from RedHat 9 to Fedora Core 3.  My machine
has been quite stable for 2 years or more.  It's got two Athlon MP
1800+ processors, and all partitions are reiserfs.

After upgrading, I was getting tons of DMA errors, especially on the
drive that is on the second IDE controller (/dev/hdc1).  After half
and hour or so, it totally corrupted my mp3 collection, which of
course I didn't have backed up (although 20Gb of it is on my iPod).
Even after unmounting it, I got some errors on my CDROM (/dev/hdd).
The next time I tried rebooting, it started complaining about errors
and dropping me into single user mode, even though fsck showed no
errors.

At this point I gave up, and I'm currently restoring from backups
(which is why I can't give you the exact text of the messages.)

Let me know when it's safe to install FC3, ok?

--
 "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and