machine powers off during FC3 install

Benton Whitaker benton at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Nov 14 02:35:14 UTC 2004

    All of my FC3 CDs have passed the media check but during
installation, after choosing packages and calculating dependencies, my
system will power off at about 75% of the way through the "Preparing to
install..." completion status window (same spot every time). I have
never had any problems installing or using FC2. Im using a Dell Inspiron
8500 laptop with one disk partitioned into an NTFS for winXP, an ext3
for Fedora, and a swap for the ext3. Note that Im doing a fresh
install...choosing to format the ext3 and swap.
    Now if I choose a 'minimal install'...the installation succeeds and
everything works fine...minus not having any of the packages I want.
'Install everything' fails with a power off during 'Preparing to
install..." just like choosing my own packages fails. I have what I
consider a basic understanding of linux, I can recompile the kernel and
install modules etc, yet I have no point of reference on this problem.
Usually hours of Google searches answers just about anything. Thanks in
advance for any insight one can offer.                        -Benton