Wireless out of the box

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Nov 14 04:30:50 UTC 2004

Kevin Freeman wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 00:06 +0000, D. D. Brierton wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 23:40, Brian Chase wrote:
>>

>>>802.11b cards are well supported, but not G
>>>

>>Also does anyone know whether the Netgear WG511 or WAG511 PC cards
>>(PCMCIA) work? -- There are still some outlets if the UK offering a free
>>one of those cards if you buy Netgear's DG834G combined WAP/ADSL router,
>>which I'm tempted to as my current router (D-Link) is beginning to show
>>its age.
>>
>>Best, Darren
>>

>I have used a WG511 for about 1 year.  In FC3 it is very close to a
>"just works" installation.  You only need to visit
>http://www.prism54.org to download firmware and copy it to /lib/firmware
>(location is different for FC2).  The prism54 driver module is part of
>the standard FC2/3 kernel.  I don't believe the driver supports WPA-PSK,
>otherwise I have been satisfied with its performance.
>
>Kevin Freeman

I use the Buffalo WLI-CB-G54A card (which is 54g) and ndiswrapper to
wrap the driver code on my FC2 laptop, and it works great. I picked the
Buffalo card because it has an external antenna connector jack on the
card for an MC type connector, and I plug in a "cantenna" which is a tin
can converted to a waveguide antenna. This lets me have connectivity to
my access point from the bottom of my yard where it dips below the level
of the house.

I don't think my aging Sony Vaio PCG-F350 laptop can run Fedora Core 3,
but I'll try installing it on my wife's much newer Compaq nx9010 laptop.
The trouble is, she doesn't have enough space on her hard drive, so I'll
have to install to one of the USB external drives.

Bob Cochran