FC 3 Woes continue...

Kevin Old kevinold at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 05:21:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:01:54 -0500, Jim Cornette
<fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
> Kevin Old wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:07:12 +0000, Douglas Furlong
> > <douglas.furlong at firebox.com> wrote:

> >>Would you actually like to provide some information?
> >>
> >>Or just carry on telling us it doesn't work? I mean, basicaly, with the
> >>question you've given, and the detail, the equal response would be "fix
> >>it" then it won't be broken any more.
> >>
> >>Is your network card recognised? What is your network card? built in,
> >>pcmcia?
> >>
> >>When you plug the card in, do you see a link light come on?
> >>
> >>What does dmesg provide?
> >>
> >>Come on man, be reasonable.
> >

> > Sorry, I should have continued the thread rather than creating a new
> > one  with a more appropriate subject "iptables still seems active even
> > after disabled in FC 3".
> >
> > This morning I found the post "can't get through dhcp after upgrade"
> > and this is exactly the problem I'm having.
> >
> > My network card is built-in my laptop and does not have a light.
> >
> > I've tried both static IP assignments and DHCP.  DHCP always fails to
> > get an IP.  The static IP is "assigned" according to "/sbin/ifconfig",
> > but I can't use any port.
> >
> > One note is that I disabled SELinux and Firewall in setup.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Kevin
>
> Kevin,
>
> Can you run /sbin/lspci and post the portion regarding your network card?
>
> There are issues with pcmcia and the order that the network card is
> loaded. Since you have a built-in ethernet, this is not likely.
>
> The other issue that comes to mind is ipv6. I believe this might be an
> issue.
>
> My idea is for you to open up system-config-network and see what type of
> device that kudzu might have detected. you might need to see if you can
> change some settings regarding the automatically discovery of your
> nameserver.
>
> Can you ping the box from another computer with a static address? Does
> your computer get a dhcp address assigned if you have a router that uses
> dhcp? What does /etc/resolv.conf list as your nameserver? There should
> be the name of the server and a few ip address listings. Without a
> listing within this file, you are pretty much not able to connect to the
> web. you should stll be able to ping the computer from another on your
> network.
>
> I hope this leads you to some resolution or you can provide more useful
> info for others to give you some feedback.
Jim,

Thanks for your reply, but my issue was resolved the other day and I
did not update this thread with the "solution".  I added acpi=off to
my boot up and it "fixed" everything.  I'm able to use USB devices and
all networking.  My logs told me to add acpi=off and file a bug
report, so that's what I'll do.

Sorry for not updating the thread, but thanks for your help.

Kevin
--
Kevin Old
kevinold at gmail.com