fresh install observations

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 06:45:56 UTC 2004

Hi

> Mozilla isn't among the menu items in Internet, although Mozilla-Mail is
> there. However, if the user starts mozilla from the command line, it's
> there. I wonder why it was left off the menu?

this is a intentional effort to reduce clutter in the menus. you can
change the .desktop file to enable this back. I believe this has
reverted back to being visible for unknown reasons. Ask seth vidal for
clarifications

> SELinux is enabled by default, but the user can disable it when
> installing/upgrading.

SELinux has a new targetted policy which only protects a few  critical
programs by default. I suggest people try and learn about this instead
of disabling it altogether.

> The command prompt in Gnome terminal looks slightly different:
>
> old look:
> [fred at localhost fred]$
>
> new look:
> [fred at localhost ~]$
>
> no biggie, there, obviously.

this is the new default behaviour of bash 3.x.

e, heh. I do wish the
> terminal icon was a part of the default task bar (I know it's easy to
> add, but I think it ought to be there by default.)

add a RFE in bugzilla.redhat.com

> yum's got a different configuration setup -- I guess we'll have plenty
> of FAQ's about that. It'll be a big help to get some sample yum.conf's
> or files available.

You can ask the questions you have. I might be able to answer them

regards
Rahul Sundaram