moving /home to /var/home

Eliot Stock fedora_list at eliotstock.com
Sun Nov 14 15:37:25 UTC 2004

I have a box here which I want to completely rebuild on every FC
release. I have one disk with two partitions. Currently / is mounted on
the first 10GB and /var on the rest. To get from FC2 to FC3 I backed up
everything I needed from / (/home, some stuff from /etc, that's about
it) to DVD and then reinstalled, formatting / but leaving /var alone.

So I'm thinking I might as well just move /home to /var/home. If I just
log in in single user mode with no daemons running and move /home to
/var/home, then edit /etc/passwd to change everyone's home directories,
is that all I need to do? Does anyone know of any packages that assume
home is /home, rather than using $HOME?

Cheers,

Eliot.