Wireless out of the box

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Sun Nov 14 15:49:51 UTC 2004

Kevin Freeman wrote:

>I have used a WG511 for about 1 year.  In FC3 it is very close to a
>"just works" installation.  You only need to visit
>http://www.prism54.org to download firmware and copy it to /lib/firmware
>(location is different for FC2).  The prism54 driver module is part of
>the standard FC2/3 kernel.  I don't believe the driver supports WPA-PSK,
>otherwise I have been satisfied with its performance.
>
>Kevin Freeman

Is it possible to use the WG511 or any other wireless device AS an
access point?

Said another way, I'm looking to eliminate a box (access point) because
I need wireless connectivity aboard a small boat. The idea is to have
one regular PC (or laptop) running FC3 contain a wireless nic, and that
nic IS the access point to allow one or more other devices (laptops,
PC's, etc) access to that servers samba shares, etc.

The dlink site suggests its possible(
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=308 ), but I'd like to know if
its possible under FC3. On that page the statement :
Like all D-Link wireless adapters, the DWL-G510 can be used in Ad-Hoc
mode to connect directly with other 2.4GHz wireless computers for
peer-to-peer file sharing ...
is what I'm referring to.

--
Bill Gradwohl