Wireless out of the box

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sun Nov 14 18:23:38 UTC 2004

Kevin Freeman wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 09:49 -0600, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
>

>>Said another way, I'm looking to eliminate a box (access point) because
>>I need wireless connectivity aboard a small boat. The idea is to have
>>one regular PC (or laptop) running FC3 contain a wireless nic, and that
>>nic IS the access point to allow one or more other devices (laptops,
>>PC's, etc) access to that servers samba shares, etc.
>>
>>The dlink site suggests its possible(
>>http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=308 ), but I'd like to know if
>>its possible under FC3. On that page the statement :
>>Like all D-Link wireless adapters, the DWL-G510 can be used in Ad-Hoc
>>mode to connect directly with other 2.4GHz wireless computers for
>>peer-to-peer file sharing ...
>>is what I'm referring to.
>>

>Ad-hoc mode is not the same as acting as an access point.  In ad-hoc
>mode, all wireless devices connect to each other simultaneously.  In AP
>mode each device connects only to an access point.  Most if not all of
>the linux wireless drivers support ad-hoc mode, which should be
>sufficient for your requirements.

mode master ?
not really tested:

$ man iwconfig

mode   Set the operating mode of the device, which depends on the  net-
              work  topology. The mode can be Ad-Hoc (network composed
of only
              one cell and without Access Point), Managed (node connects
to  a
              network  composed  of  many Access Points, with roaming),
Master
              (the node is the synchronisation master or  acts  as  an
Access
              Point),  Repeater (the node forwards packets between other
wire-
              less  nodes),  Secondary  (the  node  acts  as  a
backup   mas-
              ter/repeater),  Monitor  (the node acts as a passive
monitor and
              only receives packets) or Auto.
              Example :
                   iwconfig eth0 mode Managed
                   iwconfig eth0 mode Ad-Hoc

# iwconfig eth2 mode master

# iwconfig eth2
eth2      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"xxxxx"  Nickname:"xxxxx"
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.437GHz  Access Point: 00:04:E2:80:AB:49
          Bit Rate:54Mb/s   Tx-Power=31 dBm   Sensitivity=20/200
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx   Security
mode:restricted
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

# ifconfig eth2
eth2      Protokoll:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse 00:04:E2:80:AB:49
          inet Adresse:192.168.2.11  Bcast:192.168.2.255
Maske:255.255.255.0
          inet6 Adresse: fe80::204:e2ff:fe80:ab49/64
Gültigkeitsbereich:Verbindung
          Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:600 (600.0 b)
          Interrupt:5

# grep -i2 intersil /etc/sysconfig/hwconf
device: eth2
driver: prism54
desc: "Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890 [Prism GT/Prism Duette]"
vendorId: 1260
deviceId: 3890

http://prism54.org
SMC-pci-card