nvidia fedora 3

Danny Ciarniello Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net
Sun Nov 14 18:28:04 UTC 2004

Quy NGUYEN DAI wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:17:13 -0800, Danny Ciarniello
><dan_ciarniello at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Does X start when you reboot your system?  Apparently, the nvidia device
>>drivers are not automatically created in /dev at boot time so they are
>>not available when X tries to start (at least not on my system).
>>Placing copies of the drivers in /etc/udev/devices tells the udev system
>>to create the drivers in /dev so that they are available when X starts.
>>

>I have no problem when reboot.
>
># ll /dev/nvidia*
>crw-rw----  1 root root 195,   0 Nov 14 17:06 /dev/nvidia0
>crw-rw----  1 root root 195, 255 Nov 14 17:06 /dev/nvidiactl
>
>It's normal ?

Yes, I have those as well but only because I also have them in
/etc/udev/devices and they get copied over at boot time.  Maybe you have
"/sbin/modprobe nvidia" in rc.local?  I recall seeing that as another
way of making sure that the nvidia module gets loaded (and presumably
the nvidia device drivers created in /dev).  Otherwise, I'm not certain
why there's a difference between our respective systems.

Dan.