pppd on-demand wakes for no reason.

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Nov 14 21:34:23 UTC 2004

Am So, den 14.11.2004 schrieb Bill Somerville um 22:11:

> I have pppd set to dial on demand on my router and find it occasionally
> wakes and dials when I use ssh to connect to a node on my local sub-net.
> I've tried setting up an iptables LOG rule for any outgoing traffic on
> the ppp device but nothing gets logged when it happens. Does anyone know
> what sort of packet causes this? It only seems to happen when ssh hasn't
> been used for a few hours so I'm guessing it's something to do with
> nameserver caching but can't work out what.
>
> Bill Somerville

Yes, in most cases like yours it is a name resolving issue. You didn't
tell whether you run a local named or other details about your setup.
Other that an iptables log rule for port 53 UDP/TCP I would suggest
using tcpdump to find the cause for the DoD.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 22:34:07 up 25 days, 20:13, load average: 0.42, 0.29, 0.27