Installing grub for a different computer

Kevin Freeman kfreem02 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 14 22:20:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 19:24 +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem. My second computer won't boot - I think the MBR on
> the disk drive is corrupt.
>
> I don't have a working CDROM drive on that computer. What I have done
> is to physically move the drive to my first computer. The partitions
> mount OK, and seem to be good. FC1 is installed on one of them.
>
> My question is, can I re-install grub somehow on the drive, from my
> working computer (which is running FC2), and then move it back to the
> other computer, and expect it to work?
> --
> Colin Paul Adams
> Preston Lancashire

Yes you can do that.  Just remember that the drive numbers will likely
be different when the drive is returned its "home" PC.  If you try to
edit any entries, they will reference the wrong drive in the current PC.

Note that you can install grub to a floppy disk.  Assuming you have a
floppy drive on the original PC this could have saved you a bit of
hardware tinkering.

Kevin Freeman