Telinit Problem

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Nov 14 23:08:30 UTC 2004

Am So, den 14.11.2004 schrieb Carl Lucas um 23:59:

> I wanted to install the nvidia video driver and have been flummoxed in
> the first step!!
>
> I log in as "Root" and then open a terminal. I enter "telinit 3" and am
> greeted with a blank sreen. I press a key and there are 4 lines and then
> nothing. I have to reboot to get out of it. Here are the lines:

You are then on console or still within an X terminal?

> starting
> pcmcia:                                                          [ok]
> starting irqbalance:
> [ok]
> starting automount: no mounpoints defined:               [ok]
> starting
> anacron:                                                         [ok]
>
> I realize these are the steps that occur when booting but why does it stop?

When changing runlevels start and stop scripts are executed. See the
output of "chkconfig --list" to see what services are active or inactive
in which runlevel.

The proper way would be to logout from X session, pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1
to be on console and then enter "init 3". Or you could directly reach
runlevel 3 from boot by adding 3 to the kernel parameter line.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 00:07:52 up 25 days, 21:47, load average: 0.67, 0.30, 0.22