vmware-- upgrade show stopper 7.3 --> FC

Mark Neidorff mark at neidorff.com
Mon Nov 15 05:48:09 UTC 2004

Hi Everyone,

It is long, long past time for me to upgrade my RH 7.3 system to FC.

Currently, I'm running kernel 2.4.20-13.7 and an unofficially patched
version of vmware workstation 3.2.0.  The unofficial patching was needed
to make vmware work with that kernel version.  It does, but not perfectly.
Things that don't work: floppy drive, writing to a CD burner.  Things that
barely work: printing.  Now I need to get some files out of vmware so that
I can migrate to FC, but the files are locked away in vmware's "disk".
Does anyone have a way of getting these files out of vmware so that I can
back them up and upgrade?  Before you ask, I have checked the vmware site
and tried googling for an answer.  No help.  Oh yeah, I really don't want
to upgrade vmware.  I want to try another solution with FC.

Thanks,

Mark