FC3: KDE Applications menu is empty

sz beam szbeam at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 12:05:38 UTC 2004

On one of the 2 machines I upgraded from FC2->FC3, the KDE "K" menu
shows just "No Entries" nothing under "All Applications". And when I
try to open any file in Konq, or open an attachment with KMail, the
"Open With..." dialog comes up but there is nothing in the "Known
Applications" box.

So in short, KDE seems to be unable to find any applications at all for
the menus.

Oh and, on this machine, under FC2, I'd upgraded KDE using the packages
from http://kde-redhat.sf.net/ to kdebase-3.2.3-2.0.1.kde, etc. - the
other one, which works fine, had the default Fedora updates package,
whatever that was.

So any ideas? How does KDE populate the Application menu? would love to
know where to start looking,

thanks