Updating a kernel and ext3

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 13:43:00 UTC 2004

Ali Hussnain Shah wrote:
> i have switched successfully from debian to fedora2-x86_64 . afterwards
> i have updated my distro kernel from 2.6.5-1.358 to 2.6.8-1.521 with
> redhat update manager. Now whenever i boot with 2.6.8 the kernel boots
> root ext3 filesystem as ext2

I asked:
> How do you know it's being mounted as ext2?

and Hussnain replied:
> first, because doing automount in booting process there is a warning
> that mount was not successfull with ext3.

Could we *see* the warning, please?

Out of interest, when you switched, did you reformat all your
filesystems? As if not, then it's possible that you've just not
converted.

In that case, take a *good* backup, use the rescue CD, and use tune2fs
-j on the unmounted filesystem.

> secondly, i have learnt from
> this list that ext3 has only one additional kind of table compared with
> ext2 .. so they a ext2 driver could read ext3 too.

This is true. It's possible to mount ext3 filesystems as ext2. But I'm
still not convinced that this is happening.

> third, i X was started successfully.

I don't follow you. How does that prove anything (other than that X is
working)?

I had commented:
> Note that there are two root filesystems: one for the early bootup
> environment (populated from the initrd file). That one *is* mounted as
> ext2, since it isn't supposed to be changed: its contents will be thrown
> away and recreated at next boot from the initrd file.
>
> What does the output of mount tell you?

This really would be helpful...

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "Minis on the other hand are just the wrong size. Too
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | small to work on directly and too large to put