Yum problem after update on FC-3

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Nov 15 13:57:06 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:

>> I upgraded to FC-3 on my laptop,
>> and then ran "sudo yum update",
>> which worked perfectly, downloading over 200 rpms.
>>
>> But now when I run "sudo yum update" I get the error
>> [tim at william ~]$ sudo yum update
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 8, in ?
>>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 51, in main
>>     base.getOptionsConfig(args)
>>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 133, in getOptionsConfig
>>     self.conf = yumconf(configfile = yumconffile, root=root)
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/config.py", line 227, in
>> __init__
>>     self._doFileRepo(fn)
>
> Hmm, python2.4; FC3 somes with python2.3 and the FC3 yum is installed
> mainly in /usr/lib/python2.3; which version of yum are you using and
> where did it come from?

[tim at william 2004]$ yum --version
2.1.11
[tim at william 2004]$ python -V
Python 2.4b2

As I said, I upgraded from FC-3 test3 to FC-3,
and yum worked perfectly,
until _after_ I downloaded some 200 rpms with "yum upgrade".
I see (from yum.log) that this did upgrade both yum and python.

The settings in /etc/yum.repos.d/ are those that came with FC-3;
each of the files
==================================
fedora-devel.repo
fedora.repo
fedora-updates.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo
==================================
gives a "mirrorlist" URL.

Incidentally, I just tried "yum update" on two other computers,
and it failed on both:
==================================
[tim at blanche ~]$ sudo yum update
Repository updates-released already added, not adding again
Repository base already added, not adding again
Setting up Update Process
Setting up Repo:  livna-stable
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/3/i386/yum/stable/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4]
IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: livna-stable
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from livna-stable: [Errno 256] No more mirrors
to try.
==================================
Script started on Mon 15 Nov 2004 13:42:50 GMT
[tim at helen ~]$ sudo yum update
Repository updates-released already added, not adding again
Repository base already added, not adding again
Setting up Update Process
Setting up Repo:  livna-stable
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/3/i386/yum/stable/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4]
IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: livna-stable
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from livna-stable: [Errno 256] No more mirrors
to try.
[tim at helen ~]$ exit
exit

Script done on Mon 15 Nov 2004 13:43:20 GMT

Has anyone successfully run "yum update" _twice_ under FC-3?
If so, did you alter the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ in some way?
If you did, you post one of these files,
and also perhaps your /etc/yum.conf .

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366