OT: Launch.com music videos under Mozilla and Linux

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 15 14:34:26 UTC 2004

On 11/15/2004 04:09:44 AM, Gerald Thompson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I kind of like watching music videos on the web and was thinking that
> we seriously need to start putting some market pressure on Yahoo to
> make Launch.com work on Mozilla and Firefox under Windows, and even
> pressure them to switch to real media format so that the videos will
> work on Linux.  (They will never switch to an open source media
> format so forget that right now, Real Player 10 works fine on Linux
> so if they switch to Real Media they will be able to hit the Windows
> audience, Mac audience, and Linux audience all at the same time.)

There are several mac users, and several linux users, who do not want
Real on their machines. Myself included. I don't even have it on my
Windows machine, where it arguably is a good player.

Don't dismiss open source as possibly providing a viable option.

If you look at gstreamer.freedesktop.org - there's some pretty exciting
stuff going on right now with respect to open source media technology.

Not just players, but streaming server technology.