OT: Launch.com music videos under Mozilla and Linux

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Mon Nov 15 14:56:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 14:34 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> There are several mac users, and several linux users, who do not want
> Real on their machines. Myself included. I don't even have it on my
> Windows machine, where it arguably is a good player.
>
> Don't dismiss open source as possibly providing a viable option.
>
> If you look at gstreamer.freedesktop.org - there's some pretty exciting
> stuff going on right now with respect to open source media technology.
>
> Not just players, but streaming server technology.

...Last time I checked, RealPlayer is actually a commercially branded
version of the OpenSource HelixPlayer from http://www.helixcommunity.org
(with a couple of extra codecs). HelixPlayer is installed by default in
FC3.

Seems to me there is a viable option for RealPlayer available directly
from Real themselves.

Cheers,

Chris

--