FC3 with VMware hangs on shutdown

Rasmus Back rasmus.back at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 17:16:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:50:22 -0500, David Wolinski <dwolinski at ll.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>         I successfully installed VMware-workstation-4.5.2-8848 on FC3 following
> the tips in the FC3 Release Notes (below).  However, when I try to
> shutdown the machine, the shutdown process hangs at the following
> console message:
>
> unregister_netdevice: waiting for vmnet1 to become free. Usage count = 1
>
> (My virtual machine uses both the vmnet1 and vmnet8 network interfaces.)
>
> Can anyone please explain what's going on or suggest a solution?

I had the same problem, apparently the vmware installer doesn't create
a symlink to /etc/init.d/vmware in /etc/rc0.d so the service isn't
stopped at shutdown and the modules can't be unloaded. Try running:
ln -s /etc/init.d/vmware /etc/rc0.d/K08vmware
as root. This should allow the vm* modules to be unloaded.

Rasmus