Installing grub for a different computer

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 20:39:50 UTC 2004

    Kevin> On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 19:24 +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a problem. My second computer won't boot - I think the
    >> MBR on the disk drive is corrupt.
    >>
    >> I don't have a working CDROM drive on that computer. What I
    >> have done is to physically move the drive to my first
    >> computer. The partitions mount OK, and seem to be good. FC1 is
    >> installed on one of them.
    >>
    >> My question is, can I re-install grub somehow on the drive,
    >> from my working computer (which is running FC2), and then move
    >> it back to the other computer, and expect it to work?  -- Colin
    >> Paul Adams Preston Lancashire
    >>

    Kevin> Yes you can do that.  Just remember that the drive numbers
    Kevin> will likely be different when the drive is returned its
    Kevin> "home" PC.  If you try to edit any entries, they will
    Kevin> reference the wrong drive in the current PC.

    Kevin> Note that you can install grub to a floppy disk.  Assuming
    Kevin> you have a floppy drive on the original PC this could have
    Kevin> saved you a bit of hardware tinkering.

This seems like a good idea, so I tried it.

But when I boot with the floppy, I get:

Grub hard disk error.

(Both before I restored the hard disk to the machine, and afterwards).

I've changed the boot sequence to F,A to try to avoid it looking at
the hard disk.

Can you tell me what's going on?
--
Colin Paul Adams