Oh oh

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:55:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:48:42 -0600, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 07:06 -0500, Paul Tomblin wrote:

> > Now this hardware was all working perfectly for the last couple of
> > years, and suddenly started throwing these errors after "upgrading" to
> > Fedora Core 3 and the new 2.6 kernel.  I'm deeply suspicious.  I think
> > I'm going to download a RedHat 9 ISO and boot from that, and exercise
> > that drive to see if it gets errors under 9.
> >

> Uh?  You say it has worked for 2 years.
>
> Is it even remotely possible that the controller or drive may be
> failing??

There has only been one strangeness I never discovered an answer for
in that two years - sometimes on the rare occassions when I've had to
reboot it, it hasn't recognized one or both drives.  Powering it down
and waiting for 5-10 seconds and then trying again has usually
resolved that.

Oh, and the kernel gives me a warning on boot saying
Nov 14 16:01:19 allhats kernel: I/O APIC: AMD Errata #22 may be present. In the
event of instability try
Nov 14 16:01:19 allhats kernel:         : booting with the "noapic" option.

Now, I've never noticed any difference between booting with noapic and
not, so I haven't bothered.  I guess that's another thing to try
tonight.

--
 "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and