FC1 confusing Firefox 1.0 and mozilla-1.4.3-1.fc1.1.legacy

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 15 21:57:30 UTC 2004

This may interest someone here.

I downloaded the Firefox 1.0 tarball, untarred it, did the install, and
the very nice new installer ran fine, and opened 1.0. When I closed it,
and then tried to open it from a launcher, I got only 0.9.3 -- and I got
it from the mozilla launcher as well as the firefox launcher.

I cleared out all the firefox I could find, did the download over, and
moved the two files into /opt. Repeat the whole routine, including the
reversion to the supposedly deleted 0.9.3.

Remembering an old release of phoenix, I tried doing "/opt/firefox/firefox
&" from a command line. It gave messages, and not the prompt back; but it
launched 1.0 It asked me, again, about updating the extensions which it
had discovered in my supposedly deleted 0.9.3 -- and checked, and did the
ones it found. That may be significant; I don't know.

Then I inadvertently crashed my gnome-terminal, from another tab, in an
ssh session running pine remotely -- nothing to do with browsers.
Re-launched the terminal, and had to recreate all my tabs (I generally run
five or six, with different color backgrounds for different standard
apps.)

This time I put in an extra tab for firefox. The same command worked --
right, with no messages and a proper return to prompt. So I wouldn't
really need an extra tab just for it -- as I did, at one stage, for the
old phoenix.

But the system still confuses browsers -- in an odd way. If I launch
mozilla, either from the main menu or from a launcher in a drawer on the
panel, what happens depends on Firefox. If Firefox is not running, I get
mozilla. If firefox is running, I get another instance of firefox.

This is no very great inconvenience, since I rarely use mozilla; but how
weird can you get?? And if I ever should want to launch mozilla when
firefox is running, can I? By hacking a command like /mozilla/mozilla,
maybe? I haven't tried that -- yet ...

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!