Grub Configuration Help

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Nov 16 01:52:20 UTC 2004

Chris LaForce wrote:

>    I've just downloaded Fedora Core 3 and installed it on a sencond hard
> drive(/dev/hdf). My first hard drive(/dev/hde) has Fedora Core 2 on
> it.  Here is the grub.conf file:
>  title Fedora Core 2 (2.6.8-1.521)
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.521 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>  initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.521.img
>
> What do I need to add to it to be able to also boot to the FC3
> OS?  Here's what I tried last time:
>
> title Fedora Core 3 (2.6.9-1.667)
> root (hd1,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/hdf2
> initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

Seems reasonable, assuming you have a separate /boot partition
on the second disk, on /dev/hdf1 .

If you just added the second disk, it might be worth re-installing grub
with "grub-install --recheck /dev/hde".

Personally, I would replace the LABEL=/ with the actual device,
in case there is some confusion.

You don't say what happens when you use your grub.conf .

If there is a problem I'd try running grub interactively
(as described at the bottom of the screen when grub starts).
It's a little tricky, but basically you have to give the commands
in the grub.conf file.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366