yum.conf for FC3?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 16 12:37:40 UTC 2004

Dan Woizek wrote:
> Has someone a working yum.conf that additionally
> includes FreshRPM, DAG e.t.c. for the most important
> rpm's such as mplayer, xine e.t.c? The site
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/ does not provide such a file
> for FC3 yet.

In FC3 the idea with the new yum is not to have one big yum.conf with all your
repos in, but to have a small yum.conf file with repository-independent
options in it (the one that comes as standard with FC3 is fine if you change
distroverpkg from redhat-release to fedora-release) and then separate files in
/etc/yum.repos.d for each repo. This allows you, for instance, to set up the
repo for FreshRPMS by doing just:

rpm -Uvh
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/3/freshrpms-release/freshrpms-release-1-1.fc.fr.noarch.rpm

I expect the other repos will create equivalent RPMs before much longer. In
the meantime, you can set up a repo file for Dag as follows:

If you don't already have Dag's GPG key installed:
rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

Then, create a file /etc/yum.repos.d/dag.repo

[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core $releasever
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

Paul.