command prompt

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 13:14:09 UTC 2004

freejay at tri-isys.com wrote:
> Hello, this is kind of a newbie question. The other day I logged on to our
> test Linux server here at work, I noticed that the command prompt changed from
> the normal "[root at localhost root]#" to "-bash-2.05b$". I think one of my
> colleagues changed something in the configurations. How is this possible?

Hi.

If your shell is a login shell, it normally runs ~/.bash_profile. With
the default Fedora .bash_profile, .bashrc is run (which is run
automatically if your shell is *not* a login shell).

~/.bashrc runs /etc/bashrc, and the contents of that depend on the
version of Fedora, but this is what normally sets the prompt.

Check all these files to make sure that they are there and actually do
what they're supposed to do.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | ... and watched Richard Stallman ask one of the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | waiting staff whether the spring rolls did indeed