How to mount a partition as root and make it world read-write?

Markku Kolkka markkukolkka at kolumbus.fi
Tue Nov 16 13:14:21 UTC 2004

VJ kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 16. marraskuuta
2004 14:34):
>     That is not what I want. I do not wish to execute any
> statement apart from the options in fstab.

No matter what you wish or want, the /tmp directory (or
filesystem mounted as /tmp) _must_ have the correct permissions
to work corrcetly. The permissions of a directory are set with
the "chmod" command, and must be 1777. Note that this is done
only once, not every time the partition is mounted.

> Also the method you
> told does not work at all because if the root mounts that
> partition, other uses cannot create files/directories(I tested
> it, did you?)

Give the chmod command _after_ you have mounted the filesystem
as /tmp for the first time.