Yum problem after update on FC-3

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Nov 16 13:30:21 UTC 2004

Jon Savage wrote:

>>baseurl=http://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/fedora/updates/testing/3/$basearch/
> This looks a lot like a rawhide mirror to me...
> Then again I could be sadly mistaken...

If you looked more carefully,
you would see that this was in fedora-update-testing.repo,
and that enabled=0 was set in that file.

> Either way, If you were running FC3 T3 a few days before release of
> core 3 final and did not comment out rawhide then you probably got a
> good number of post FC3 T3 freeze packages the weekend before last.

That would not explain why "yum update" ran perfectly
_after_ upgrading to FC-3.
It was the yum and/or python downloaded at this point
that caused the problem.

I'm perfectly willing to believe I made a mistake;
I just can't see what it was.

> That could have hosed your (unsupported) upgrade from FC3 T3 to FC3
> final- for that matter the upgrade from T3 to core 3 is iffy at best.
> Have I mentioned *unsupported*?

The fact that someone says an upgrade is unsupported
does not mean one has to throw logic out of the window
when thinking about it ...

Anyway, I'll wait patiently for a new version of python to come out.
Surely if there serious errors in the last version
there should be a replacement soon?
I assume rpm will work with the "bad" python ...

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366