problem with vncserver on fc3

Basil Copeland blcjr at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 16:55:38 UTC 2004

I have vncserver running on fc3 opening a Xfce4
session, after a fashion.  What is not working right
is it loading automatically at startup.  vncserver is
checked in the system-config-services applet.  But at
startup, it fails with the message

vnc server is already runing as :1

I get that message with /etc/sysconfig/vncservers

VNCSERVERS="1:root"

If I comment this out, there is no "FAILED" notice
starting vncserver at startup, but Xvnc doesn't
actually start.

In either case, once started up, and logged in as
root, I can run "vncserver" and starts a vnc session
for root, and I can remotely log in with an Xfce4
desktop.

So what is causing vncserver to think it is already
running as :1?

I'm sure I messed up a configuration file somewhere
along the line getting to this point.  But I cannot
figure out which, or how to fix this problem.

TIA.