yum.conf for FC3?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Nov 16 19:21:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:02:23PM +0100, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Le mar 16/11/2004 à 19:41, Paul Howarth a écrit :
> > Eric Tanguy wrote:
> > > Could you explain what is the improvement with this method ?
> >
> > This method allows repo maintainers to create an RPM that, when installed by
> > the user, automatically installs the GPG key for the repo and configures yum
> > to use that repo. Removing the RPM also stops the user's yum from using that
> > repo. This is simpler than having users edit their yum.conf files and
> > potentially making errors. Ease of maintenance and better for packagers, repo
> > maintainers I suppose.
> >
> > Paul.
> Ok but i have a problem with yum (i'm in fc2) : i have some packages
> from at and newrpms (about 20) and all others are from fedora, dag and
> freshrpms. In standard, i comment the part concerning at and newrpms
> repo in /etc/yum.conf and do night updates with yum. But when i want to
> update the packages from at and newrpms, i have to uncomment the part
> concerning these repos and i have to launch yum update followed by the
> names of the 20 packages. i can't just launch yum update because in this
> case a lot of fedora, dag and freshrpms packages would be updated too.

Perhaps only for improvement of your system?

Indeed of there are components updated this is done for a reason,
whether it's a good one or not. Instead of working around such issues
one should address them and arrive at either the validity of an update
or the withdrawal of it.

There are some people doing overly concerned about updating some
packages, but the reasons given (unknown security, unknown
compatibility) would first disallow usage of any external kernel
module, so it sounds more like FUD to me.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net