FC2 and RPM

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 16 21:14:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Giulio Sorrentino wrote:

> Satish Balay wrote:
>
> > The thing to do here is look for the .src.rpm - and and build it
> > locally and create local yum repository for all such packages.
> >
> > If not - you could do (with yum-2.1):
> >
> > wget foo.rpm
> > yum localinstall foo.rpm
> >
> > At leat this will try to resolve the dependencies - and do the install.
> >
> > Satish
> >
> I think that is stupid create a local mirror when with a simply rpm -ivh you
> resolve the problem in less time...

For one - the thread started with 'click-to-install' in a filebrowser.

And clueless folks who want to 'just install with rpm' end up using
'rpm --force' and mess up their config - and complain later about the
distribution/tools being broken.

Hence the sugestion to do most things with more appropriate tools like
yum.

Satish