dvd+rw blanking

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 16 23:44:50 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 14:32 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>   I use a pioneer DVR 108 dvd burner (dual layer) and I can not blank a
>>+rw with
>> xcdroast or cdrecord,as root I get in FC3 xcdroast
>>
>>"cdrecord.prodvd: Cannot blank with non Ricoh based drive.
>>cdrecord.prodvd: Cannot blank disk, aborting.
>>cdrecord.prodvd: Some drives do not support all blank types.
>>cdrecord.prodvd: Try again with cdrecord blank=all"
>>

>If you have new rw media you may need to format it first. You need the
>dvd+rw-tools package.
>
># dvd+rw-format /dev/cdwriter
>
>Paul.

Paul,
      In trying your suggestion I get

"[david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo dvd+rw-format /dev/hdc
* DVDRW/-RAM format utility by <appro at fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.10.
:-( mounted media doesn't appear to be DVDRW or DVD-RAM

I tried with '/dev/cdwriter  /media/cdrecoder /dev/hdc'  and had the
same responce.

Thanks        david