unable to record (alsa)

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Wed Nov 17 00:56:21 UTC 2004

Marc Williams wrote:
> With my fresh install of FC3, I am unable to record using my microphone.
>  The rest of my audio works great - playing, ripping, etc.  My soundcard
> was properly detected as a via 82c686a/b rev 50 and I've checked the
> mixer settings so that they match what was there in FC2. I've tried both
> the Gnome Sound Recorder and Gnomemeeting and I can get recording
> working in neither.
>
> Just to make sure my mic is working, I plugged my old FC2 HDD back in
> and everything works fine.  I'm not sure what to try next.  Any help?
> Thanks!

Oh oh.  User error.

After posting this problem I discovered that there is an extra control
in the mixer that wasn't set and evidently needs to be in order for mic
recording to work.  The control is called "Capture" and as soon as I set
that one to record (as well as the obvious "Microphone" control), my
recording capabilities returned.