RH9 upgrade

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Wed Nov 17 04:24:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 02:04 -0500, Ghod wrote:
> I'm planning to upgrade a RH9 machine to either FC2 or FC3
> any opinions? which should I do? is FC3 stable enough?
> all input welcome (no flaming!)

FC3 seems pretty stable and fixes for problems are showing up fast.
OTOH, it's still a bit of a bumpy ride and if this is a production
machine FC2 still seems a safer bet.  You've got to decide how important
stability is to you versus the latest bells/whistles/features.

> Also which way would you recommend to do the upgrade?
> should I just DL the CD images and burn them? what?
> which is easiest?

Depends again.  For a single machine, just downloading images/boot.iso
and doing an install over the network will probably take less time and
bandwidth than dealing with the CD or DVD iso[s].  For a few machines,
or if you just like to have the media in hand, DL & burn the isos.  For
a bunch, make a local mirror and install over the LAN.  If you go for
the isos, I highly recommend bittorrent. http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/

My $0.02,
Phil