Installing grub for a different computer

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 07:15:44 UTC 2004

    Kevin> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 07:55 +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
    >> root (hd0,4) configfile /etc/grub.conf
    >>
    >> (Disk has FC1 on it, if that is relevanet).
    >>
    >> This then attempts to boot a kernel (I'm not presented with a
    >> grub menu - I guess there's only one kernel present).
    >>
    >> But fails with a message something like:
    >>
    >> Disk (hd1,4) not found.
    >>

    Kevin> OK, so this time Murphy's Law is working overtime.  Boot

Not yet it isn't! :-)

    Kevin> with the floppy and this time enter: root (hd0,4) cat
    Kevin> /etc/grub.conf

    Kevin> Now you need to duplicate the kernel and initrd lines that
    Kevin> were printed by the cat command: kernel
    Kevin> /vmlinuz-some-version and some params initrd
    Kevin> /initrd-some-version.img

    Kevin> Note: use tab completion to save some typing and prevent
    Kevin> mistakes.

    Kevin> After entering the commands above for root, kernel and
    Kevin> initrd grub is now ready to resurrect your FC installation.
    Kevin> Enter the command boot and press enter.

All done successfully.

    Kevin> Once the system boots,

assumptions, assumptions....
NOW Murphy is kicking good and proper. Here are the last few messages
from the console:

Mounting root filesystem.
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 168k freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I tried the above with two different kernels (there's 4 or 5 installed
- all FC1).
Now, I mentioned before that I was able to mount the root file system on my
other computer OK, so I'm rather puzzled by the failure to find the
superblock.

Is there anything I can do at this stage?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire