FC1 confusing Firefox 1.0 and mozilla-1.4.3-1.fc1.1.legacy

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 17 17:17:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:15:35 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 16:57 -0500, Beartooth wrote:
                     (snip)
>> I cleared out all the firefox I could find, did the download over, and
>> moved the two files into /opt. Repeat the whole routine, including the
>> reversion to the supposedly deleted 0.9.3.
>>

> Doing an install from tarball usually by default puts the binaries
> in /usr/local/bin.  The rpm install usually puts them in /usr/bin.

OK; I get :
                           =====
[root at localhost root]# ls /usr/local
bin  etc  games  include  lib  libexec  sbin  share  src
[root at localhost root]# ls /usr/local/bin
[root at localhost root]#
                           =====

I also tried reversing local and bin. I don't seem to have /usr/bin/local
at all; but /usr/bin contains one file called firefox; looking at it with
cat, I find a line near the top that identifies it as 0.9.3. (It's /opt
that I put 1.0 in, precisely because I knew /opt was empty.)

> If you have both, you will have to do some playing to make sure the
> launchers get the new one from /usr/local.

You mean from /opt ; /usr/local has the old one. If I understand that much
aright, and I think I do. But I don't understand the playing, or at least
I doubt I do.

How about this? If I simply do "rm /usr/bin/ firefox" and then "mv
/opt/firefox /usr/bin/firefox" will that do the job?? (Remember the
present /usr/bin/firefox is an executable script (whatever that is --
probably not what I think, alas!), while /opt/firefox is a directory.

> It is also possible to tell the tarball installer where to put the new
> binaries to replace the one installed by the rpm.

So I understand; but the way I tried told me I didn't have write
permission -- and I don't know how to run GUI apps as root unless they ask
me. That's why I just moved the tarball (as root) out of /home/btth, where
it downloaded, into /opt, and just untarred it there.

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!