Repost: FC3: Static on VIA AC97 Audio Controller

Philip A. Chapman pchapman at pcsw.us
Wed Nov 17 18:58:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 00:41 +0800, Serge de Souza wrote:
> Try using alsamixer. People have reported getting static when some other
> channels are enabled. Using alsamixer, try muting everything (use right
> arrow to scroll over the end) and only leave master and PCM (if it
> appears in the list...). If you get no sound, progressively unmute other
> channels until you get lucky...

Thanks, but that did not help either.  Alsamixer doesn't allow me to
control the volume of PCM either.  I muted everything but PCM, and got
low level music with static.  I even tried muting PCM and unmuting each
item in turn.  Master doesn't do anything on my system.  Mute or not,
doesn't make a difference.  I guess I'll listen to CDs until a kernel
update fixes this.  I can adjust the volume of CD input.

Thanks Again,
--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP