scripts won't execute

Andrew B. Young andrew_b_young at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 17 19:50:17 UTC 2004

I'm stumped.  I have two separate script files that are *identical*,
but one executes as expected, the other does nothing.  The only
difference between the two is how they were created.  The one that
does execute was created in /root and then moved to /var/www/cgi-bin.
The one that does not execute was created directly in
/var/www/cgi-bin.  Why should this cause a difference?  Here are some
details.

-andyy

# Here is where I am--
[root at iolon240 cgi-bin]# pwd
/var/www/cgi-bin

# This is what the two files contain--
[root at iolon240 cgi-bin]# cat ./test.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo "asdf"

# Here I run the two files and see a difference
[root at iolon240 cgi-bin]# ./test2.sh
asdf
[root at iolon240 cgi-bin]# ./test.sh
[root at iolon240 cgi-bin]#

# Here is a listing of them to show identical modes
[root at iolon240 cgi-bin]# ll test*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 23 Nov 17 11:28 test2.sh
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 23 Nov 17 11:22 test.sh

# I diff'ed the files and get nothing
[root at iolon240 cgi-bin]# diff test*