DVD/CDROM Grip problems after FC2 to FC3 upgrade

alan haigh alan at alanhaigh.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 21:07:11 UTC 2004

After a blissfully easy upgrade, only 2 things seem to be amiss
1) yum config - but I can search the archives myself later
2) I have a DVD writer (Pioneer) on hdc, and after the upgrade Grip now
comes up with an error message "can't initialize /dev/cdrom" Also the
first time I put an audio CD in there the CD player came up, but with a
similar message (which is bizarre - it knew I'd put the disk in, but
couldn't see it) (I since disabled the "autoplay CD player")

This was all working fine before the upgrade, but I realise it's a DVD
writer and not a cdrom, so is there a setting I need to make somewhere.
I've tried some obvious things, but with no luck. My system sees the
drive in the hardware browser and "computer" desktop icon.

Thanks

Alan
--
alan haigh <alan at alanhaigh.co.uk>