yum troubles

Peter Lesterhuis peterlesterhuis at tiscali.nl
Thu Nov 18 09:04:20 UTC 2004

hello list,
I keep on having problems with yum. The next message shows when I try $
yum check-update or yum update

]$ yum check-update
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 30, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 163, in main
    (log, errorlog, filelog, conf, cmds) = parseCmdArgs(args)
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 75, in parseCmdArgs
    conf=yumconf(configfile=yumconffile)
  File "/usr/share/yum/config.py", line 48, in __init__
    self.cfg.read(configfile)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/ConfigParser.py", line 263, in read
    self._read(fp, filename)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/ConfigParser.py", line 456, in _read
    raise MissingSectionHeaderError(fpname, lineno, `line`)
ConfigParser.MissingSectionHeaderError: File contains no section headers.
file: /etc/yum.conf, line: 1
'\xef\xbb\xbf[main]\n'

Considering there could be multiple installation faults I dowmlaoded and
installed yum again, but that does not solve the problem.
Getting desperate,
Peter.