Dump/restore

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at FIREBOX.COM
Thu Nov 18 12:39:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 15:10 -0500, Jesse Jarzynka wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 14:45, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> >  I still have no idea why Fedora is confusing people
> > > with LVM's.
> >
> > fedora is helping people with lvm's . lvm in general is much better
> > way of managing partitions. if you didnt want it you could also have
> > choosen not to use it. I suggest you read the lvm howto in tldp.org
> > and continue using it
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Rahul Sundaram
>
> K, I understand the LVM reasoning, but I still don't know how to
> dump/restore them!
LVM is different to the old system, so your going to have to learn some
thing.

First of all use the tools, to try and get an idea of what is going on.

Check out vgdisplay.
check out lvdisplay.

On my system using LVM2, the device that I backup is /dev/mapper/<vg
name>-<lv name>

When you restore, you will have to use have the volume groups pre-
configured before you restore them.

This is an additional couple of steps, but it really isn't that hard,
and it IS a good thing.

You know, I always thought that the LVM stuff was straight forward...

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator